McGregor, the former UFC lightweight and featherweight champion, said Thursday on Twitter that he’s accepted an offer from the UFC to take on Poirier but made it clear that the fight “must happen in 2020.”
McGregor even singled out specific dates in his tweet.
Hello Dustin! I accepted the @ufc offer to fight you, but told them it must happen in 2020. I’m ready for Nov 21st, given that cards recent injury issues, as well as any of the December dates, the 12th and the 19th. I’ll also still donate the $500k to The Good Fight Foundation https://t.co/23hN4AHtoI
— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) October 8, 2020
“Hello Dustin! I accepted the @UFC offer to fight you, but told them it must happen in 2020,” McGregor wrote. “I’m ready for Nov 21st, given that cards recent injury issues, as well as any of the December dates, the 12th and the 19th. I’ll also still donate the $500k to The Good Fight Foundation.”
UFC president Dana White said last week that he offered the bout to both McGregor and Poirier following their back-and-forth on Twitter about potentially setting up a charity exhibition bout in Dublin. According to multiple reports, the UFC’s offer is for Jan. 23, which could be a sticking point in finalizing a deal.
Both McGregor (22-4 MMA, 10-2 UFC) and Poirier fought in September 2014 at UFC 178, with McGregor stopping Poirier less than two minutes into the first round. The fight was contested at featherweight.
McGregor last fought in January at UFC 246, where he stopped veteran Donald Cerrone in just 40 seconds. With the victory, he successfully bounced back from his title loss to champion Khabib Nurmagomedov.
Meanwhile, “The Diamond” is coming off a decision win over Dan Hooker in June. Prior to that, Poirier had also lost to Nurmagomedov in an attempt to claim the lightweight title.