Cynthia Calvillo won’t be stepping into the octagon later this month.
The UFC women’s flyweight contender has been pulled from her bout against Lauren Murphy next week at UFC 254 on Yas Island in Abu Dhabi. Calvillo (9-1-1 MMA, 6-1-1 UFC) was removed from the bout because she tested positive for COVID-19 on Thursday.
A person with knowledge of the situation confirmed the news to MMA Junkie following an initial report from UFC broadcast partner ESPN.
Murphy (13-4 MMA, 5-4 UFC) currently is on a three-fight winning streak. She most recently fought in June at UFC on ESPN 11 and took a unanimous decision from Roxanne Modafferi. The 37-year-old is ranked fourth in the UFC’s official rankings.
Murphy wished Calvillo well on Twitter.
Hope @cyn_calvillo is okay! Maybe (hopefully) we can run it in a few weeks!
In the mean time, I’m still planning on having the fight of my life on Fight Island! See you guys soon https://t.co/mHolXWt7uz
— Lauren Murphy (@LaurenMurphyMMA) October 16, 2020
Hope @cyn_calvillo is okay! Maybe (hopefully) we can run it in a few weeks! In the mean time, I’m still planning on having the fight of my life on Fight Island! See you guys soon
The UFC 254 lineup includes:
- Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Justin Gaethje
- Jared Cannonier vs. Robert Whittaker
- Walt Harris vs. Alexander Volkov
- Lauren Murphy vs. TBA
- Magomed Ankalaev vs. Ion Cutelaba
- Phil Hawes vs. Jacob Malkoun
- Stefan Struve vs. Tai Tuivasa
- Alex Oliveira vs. Shavkat Rakhmonov
- Sam Alvey vs. Da Un Jung
- Liana Jojua vs. Miranda Maverick
- Casey Kenney vs. Nathaniel Wood
- Sergey Morozov vs. Umar Nurmagomedov
- Joel Alvarez vs. Alexander Yakovlev