A pivotal featherweight clash will go down on “Fight Island” later this month.
Ortega (14-1 MMA, 6-1 UFC) will look to rebound from his first career loss, a December 2018 TKO at the hands of Max Holloway at UFC 231 in a failed attempt to capture the featherweight title. Prior to the loss, Ortega had finished all his UFC opponents, and he now looks to climb his way back to title contention.
Since returning from his long military service hiatus, Jung (16-5 MMA, 6-2 UFC) has won three of his past four bouts, all by first-round stoppage. His lone loss in that stretch came at the hands of Yair Rodriguez, in a Hail Mary elbow knockout, a fight he was en route to winning on the judges’ scorecards.
There’s been a lot of heat building between the two sides. They were originally supposed to fight in December, but now they meet with a potential title shot at stake.
Check out the official poster for the event below (via Twitter):
A long time coming#UFCFightIsland6[ #InAbuDhabi | @VisitAbuDhabi] pic.twitter.com/ggECwx2yxt
— UFC (@ufc) October 2, 2020
The latest UFC on ESPN+ 38 lineup includes:
- Brian Ortega vs. Chan Sung Jung
- Krzysztof Jotko vs. Makhmud Muradov
- Ante Delija vs. Ciryl Gane
- Jessica Andrade vs. Katlyn Chookagian
- Modestas Bukauskas vs. Jimmy Crute
- Mounir Lazzez vs. David Zawada
- Nikita Krylov vs. opponent TBA
- Mateusz Gamrot vs. Magomed Mustafaev
- Poliana Botelho vs. Gillian Robertson
- Muslim Salikhov vs. Claudio Silva
- Jun Yong Park vs. John Phillips
- Jamie Mullarkey vs. Fares Ziam
- Gadzhimurad Antigulov vs. Maxim Grishin
- Said Nurmagomedov vs. Mark Striegl
The Blue Corner is MMA Junkie’s blog space. We don’t take it overly serious, and neither should you. If you come complaining to us that something you read here is not hard-hitting news, expect to have the previous sentence repeated in ALL CAPS.