But the controversial ex-NFL star often has started strong and then faded in his MMA career, which was never more apparent than in the heavyweight main card opener Saturday in Las Vegas.
Hardy (7-3 MMA, 4-3 UFC) gassed just as Tybura was warming up, and that translated into the first finish loss of Hardy’s career. Tybura won by TKO at the 4:31 mark of Round 2.
Hardy, who’s been a hard striker from the outset of his career, threw with both power and precision in the opening round. He mixed his shots to the head and the body and kept his foe at bay with low kicks.
By the second, though, Hardy started to fade, and Tybura landed big, clean overhands and hooks. Tybura was stymied in his takedown attempts in the first round. But in the middle frame, he got a takedown on a second effort after shooting a double. From there, he unleashed a ground assault from side control and Hardy covered up until the fight was waved off.
— UFC (@ufc) December 20, 2020
“That was the plan, for sure. I know in the first round, it was hard to take him to the ground,” Tybura said in his post-fight interview. “I knew I needed to make him tired and then take him down.”
That’s four straight wins for Tybura, who recorded his 14th career finish. Hardy had a two-fight winning streak snapped.
The heavyweight bout opened up the UFC Fight Night 183 main card at the UFC Apex in Las Vegas. It streamed on ESPN+.
Up-to-the-minute UFC Fight Night 183 results include:
- Greg Hardy def. Marcin Tybura via TKO (punches) — Round 2, 4:31
- Anthony Pettis def. Alex Morono via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Pannie Kianzad def. Sijara Eubanks via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Deron Winn def. Antonio Arroyo via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Taila Santos def. Gillian Robertson via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 29-28)
- Tafon Nchukwi def. Jamie Pickett via unanimous decision (30-25, 30-26, 30-26)
- Jimmy Flick def. Cody Durden via submission (triangle choke) – Round 1, 3:18
- Christos Giagos def. Carlton Minus via unanimous decision (30-26, 29-27, 29-28)