Chimaev (9-0 MMA, 3-0 UFC) lived up to his promise to continue his 100 percent career finish rate when he beat a much more experienced foe in Meerschaert (31-14 MMA, 6-6 UFC) by knockout in just 17 seconds to remain unbeaten.
The middleweight bout was part of the UFC on ESPN+ 36 main card at the UFC Apex in Las Vegas. It streamed on ESPN+.
Chimaev immediately put the pressure on Meerschaert at the opening bell. He got his opponent to back up toward the fence then unloaded with a straight right hand that immediately dropped Meerschaert and knocked him out cold, immediately ending the fight.
With the win, Chimaev set a new UFC record for shortest time between three octagon victories at just 66 days. Now he moves on to a scheduled welterweight fight with Demian Maia in October.
Check out the video of his quick knockout below:
— UFC (@ufc) September 20, 2020
Up-to-the-minute UFC on ESPN+ 36 results include:
- Khamzat Chimaev def. Gerald Meerschaert via knockout (punch) – Round 1, 0:17
- Johnny Walker def. Ryan Spann via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 2:43
- Mackenzie Dern def. Randa Markos via submission (armbar) – Round 1, 3:44
- Kevin Holland def. Darren Stewart via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- David Dvorak def. Jordan Espinosa via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Damon Jackson def. Mirsad Bektic via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 3, 1:21
- Mayra Bueno Silva def. Mara Borella via submission (armbar) – Round 1, 2:29
- Jessica-Rose Clark def. Sarah Alpar via TKO (strikes) – Round 3, 4:21
- Darrick Minner def. T.J. Laramie via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 1, 0:52
- Randy Costa def. Journey Newson via knockout (head kick) – Round 1, 0:41
- Andre Ewell def. Irwin Rivera via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Tyson Nam def. Jerome Rivera via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 0:34