Hardy’s (7-2 MMA, 4-2 UFC) power proved once again to be an X factor in his favor, because he dropped Greene (9-5 MMA, 4-3 UFC) and subsequently finished the fight by TKO at the 1:12 mark of Round 2. It was the first time in Hardy’s career that he’s earned a stoppage outside of the opening frame.
The heavyweight bout was part of the UFC on ESPN+ 39 main card at the UFC Apex in Las Vegas. It streamed on ESPN+.
Hardy looked to apply pressure early and landed a big right hand that caused Greene to back up. Hardy swarmed with punches near the fence then picked up Green’s leg and pulled him to the mat. He established top control, where he worked away with chipping shots and took some minutes off the clock before Greene worked his way back to the feet. They settled into a striking rhythm or the remainder of the round, with Greene moving around the outside and Hardy getting inside in attempt to land.
In the second round, Hardy started to find his range. He landed a stiff lead right hand that dropped Greene to the canvas, and he jumped on top. Greene did his best to avoid the follow-up blows, but Hardy was relentless with the attack and forced referee Herb Dean to step in.
Unquestionable power! @GregHardyJr sits Greene down on a jab and doesn’t let up.[ Co-main next on #ESPNPlus ] pic.twitter.com/9puT2wJ4n2
— UFC (@ufc) November 1, 2020
With the win, Hardy has now suffered just one defeat in his past four fights. He was excited about the performance after the fact.
“Get in, get out and get it,” Hardy said in his post-fight interview with Michael Bisping. “I will do it again next week.”
Up-to-the-minute UFC on ESPN+ 39 results include:
- Greg Hardy def. Maurice Greene via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 1:12
- Kevin Holland def. Charlie Ontiveros via verbal submission (injury) – Round 1, 2:39
- Thiago Moises def. Bobby Green via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Alexander Hernandez def. Chris Gruetzemacher via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 1:46
- Adrian Yanez def. Victor Rodriguez via knockout (head kick) – Round 1, 2:46
- Sean Strickland def. Jack Marshman via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Jason Witt def. Cole Williams via submission (arm-triangle choke) – Round 2, 2:09
- Dustin Jacoby def. Justin Ledet via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 2:38
- Miles Johns def. Kevin Natividad via knockout (punch) – Round 3, 2:51