Brandon Royval continued his hot run in the UFC on Saturday.
The rising flyweight contender picked up another submission win when he stopped Kai Kara-France in the second round of their main card contest at UFC 253 in Abu Dhabi.
Royval (12-4 MMA, 2-0 UFC) and Kara-France (21-9 MMA, 4-2 UFC) went toe-to-toe in a wild brawl that had both fighters hurt and dropped at multiple times in the first round. The high-paced action carried over to Round 2. The flyweights continued to deliver one of the better fights of the night.
In a takedown attempt by Kara-France, Royval was able to lock up a guillotine choke and end the fight at the 0:48 mark of the second roundn.
It was Royval’s second win in the UFC. The 28-year-old fighter made his promotional debut in May and submitted former title challenger Tim Elliott in the second round. Royval is on a four-fight wining streak. Kara-France now finds himself on a 1-2 run after the loss to Royval. He outpointed Tyson Nam in his most recent contest.
Up-to-the-minute UFC 253 results include:
- Brandon Royval def. Kai Kara-France via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 2, 0:48
- Ketlen Vieira def. Sijara Eubanks via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Hakeem Dawodu def. Zubaira Tukhugov via split decision (28-29, 30-27, 29-28)
- Brad Riddell def. Alex da Silva via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Jake Matthews def. Diego Sanchez via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 30-26)
- Ludovit Klein def. Shane Young via knockout (head kick, punches) – Round 1, 1:16
- William Knight def. Aleksa Camur via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-27)
- Juan Espino def. Jeff Hughes via submission (arm-triangle choke) – Round 1, 3:48
- Danilo Marques def. Khadis Ibragimov via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)